[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
• View topic - How much practice and training for a novice?

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:24 pm 
Prone Shooter

I am a completely novice high power shooter. I have shot small bore bench rest and lots of pistol. I have recently purchased a .308 rifle that is well built and accurate. I would like to learn to shoot and compete with this rifle. While I realize that there are better suited rounds and rifles for competition I deliberately chose a .308 factory rifle as my starting point. I am committed to become competent with this rifle and realize that requires a commitment of time and funds. If at some point I become able to out-shoot the round and rifle then I'll have one built.

I have purchased 400 rounds of match ammunition to get me started and am acquiring the equipment and supplies to reload match ammunition.

So here is my question. In order to become a competent tactical shooter what should I expect to expend in terms of practice time and rounds/week or month? I would define competent as placing in the middle of the pack at a regional match. While I know that more practice equals faster progress I am not able to spend every day or even three times a week at the range but I can practice once a week and some weeks twice.

I have arranged my schedule so that I can attend the CaPRC "A" and "B" classes over the next three months assuming I can get in to the classes. If any of you have additional suggestion of classes I should or could attend I would appreciate those. I am located in the Phoenix area but am not worried about traveling for good training. I would also appreciate any hints about what specifically to practice once I've learned the basics of good shooting form, etc.

Thanks in advance for your input.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:33 pm 
Positional Shooter

Location: In the middle of the desert somewhere outside of Barstow
Really some of the best practice is jumping into the monthly matches. There are some in Phoenix. The Arizona guys and gals are good and friendly shooters. Let them know you are new and they will help you out. Once you shoot a match you will know what to practice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:39 pm 
Chuck Norris

It really boils down to expertly applying the fundamentals in fucked up positions under the stress of time. Get the fundamentals down pat. Breath controll, trigger control, proper and repeatable cheek weld on the stock, follow through, standard positions (prone, sitting, kneeling, standing.) Most of this can be done with a .22lr. Then get solid dope on what your rifle/ammo does. Good fundamentals and solid dope will put you on the right path. Not having thoses will only hinder further learning.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:46 pm 
Chuck Norris

Dry fire and working on your positionals at home will get you good quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:58 pm 
Club Founding Member

Dry fire 50 times a couple times a week.
Live fire 30 rounds once a week if you can.
Even just 30 rounds twice per month would be great.
More live fire won't really help unless it's specifically at long distance in the wind.
More dry fire will help and you don't even need to go to the range for that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:13 am 
Chuck Norris

Dry fire and Positionial practice are way over looked I think. We all tend to practice at the range on our bellies. Practicing off props or just offhand will help your game a lot. There is no one correct answer though. Some guys will get it some guys just wont. If you are in the Phoenix area try to hit up one of there monthlies. They an awesome match out there! Great people who would be more then willing to get you going.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:41 am 
Chuck Norris

You can't practice what you don't know. I suggest go to a monthly match and shoot it. Find out what your weaknesses are then work on them, work on them, and work on them. I guarantee you will progress as you shoot more and more. Keep in mind shooting is not like riding a bike. You will have to keep shooting to keep your skill level up.

Disclaimer: there are a few guys here who can put down a rifle for months and still place well in a match. Some people just have a natural talent when it comes to shooting.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:54 pm 
Prone Shooter

Shooting is definitely a perishable skill. I try to shoot pistol every ten days or so, and when I go more than two weeks I can absolutely see it in my speed and dexterity with the pistol. I know it will be the same with a rifle. I have also become a big proponent of dry firing as a result of my pistol training. I use my SIRT pistol and dry fire much more than I live fire. Thank you all for the tips on training to improve.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:05 pm 
Positional Shooter

^What these guys have said is sound advice, I still shoot like crap, but the monthlies shaped me up the most, I found that going to the range by myself and shooting prone all day did not help me much at the monthly matches haha