[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
• View topic - Understanding MIL vs. MOA

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:56 pm 
Club Founding Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:56 pm 
Club Founding Member

First, Having a calibrated reticle with known-marks is uber-important.
You can't consistently hold for elevation or wind if you don't have some sort of calibrated scale to work with.
Matching the knobs to the reticle is the 2nd most important thing.
If you fire a shot and you observe that the impact was 2marks low and 1mark right, you know that you can adjust or hold 2marks high and 1mark left and your next round will be a hit if the wind has not changed.
If your knobs don't match you reticle, you have to do more calculations to figure out how many marks in the scope equate to how many clicks on the scope knob.
The 3rd most important thing is being able to quickly range the distance to target.
This requires you to know the size of the target.
The more accurate your assessment of the target's actual size, the more accurate your range estimation will be.

Here's my take on MIL vs. MOA reticles and knobs...
(Note: I originally wrote the post below in early 2009 when I was using an MOA scope and reticle. I have since switched to Mils as I find it easier to keep track of the smaller dope numbers of Mil based dope vs the larger numbers reguired of MOA based dope. It's easier to count or hold off 2 mils than it is to count or hold off 7 moa.)

The actual choice of either MIL or MOA is a ford vs chevy arguement.
Both cars will get you to work every day and both measurement systems will get you hits when used properly.

There are basically two camps supporting the two different systems.
First, you have the MIL crowd.
1 MIL is 3.6" at 100yds and can easily be rounded to 3.5" for ease of calculations in your head.
This rounding will create a 2.8% margin of error.
The biggest thing the MIL crowd have going for them is the military's use of that system and all the development the supporting of MIL-specific tools, binoculars, scopes etc.
The basic premise why you should get a MIL reticle is "because military/leo uses it".
When used in a rangefinding role, the MIL system requires a more complicated calculation to figure out how far away a known-dimension target is located.
The accuracy of the MIL system at rangefinding relies on the ability of the user to divide up the milradian markings as precisely as possible when measuring the angular size of a target.
To reach 1/10MIL reading, you have to divide up the space between two dots into 10 segments and then approximate how many segments your target occupies.
Try this: hold your thumb and first finger out in front of you like you are measuring something.
Now look across the room and find something that fits say 1/3 or 2/3 of the distance between your thumb/finger.
Do not adjust your fingers to fit the object.
Now determine how many 1/10's of that space between thumb/finger does the object fill.
Is it 2/10? Is it 3/10? Is it 4/10?
That's what you need to determine when measuring the height to 1/10 of a MIL.
Advancements in Mil based scope reticles have added 1/2 mil hash marks and some scopes even have 2/10 hash marks to help you get a more accurate measurement when using the reticle to range.

Then, you have the MOA crowd.
1 MOA is 1.047" at 100yds and can easily be rounded to 1" for ease of calculations in your head.
This rounding will create a 4.5% margin of error.
The biggest thing the MOA crowd have going for them is the ingrained use of inches as a common measurement system.
The basic premise why you should get an MOA reticle is "because everyone knows what an inch looks like".
When used in a rangefinding role, the MOA system has a less complicated calculation to figure out how far away a known-dimension target is located.
It's easier to calculate a distance in MOA without a calculator as there is no "27.7 MIL factor" in the formula.
The MIL crowd will be quick to point out that for the best accuracy of measurements, you still need to use a calculator and they are correct, but for a really quick (no calculator) range calculation, the MOA formula is simpler.
The accuracy of the MOA system at rangefinding relies on the finer resolution of MOA markings when measuring the angular size of a target.
To reach a 1/4 MOA reading, you only have to divide up the space between two hash marks into 4 segments and then approximate how many segments your target occupies.
Try this: hold your thumb and first finger out in front of you like you are measuring something.
Now look across the room and find something that fits say 1/3 or 2/3 of the distance between your thumb/finger.
Do not adjust your fingers to fit the object.
Now determine how many 1/4's of that space between thumb/finger does the object fill.
Is it 1/4? Is it 1/2? Is it 3/4?
That's what you need to determine when measuring the height to 1/4 of an MOA.

The adjustment of a single 1/10 MIL click is roughy 3/8" at 100yds so that's the intrinisic accuracy of the MIL system.
The adjustment of a single 1/4 MOA click is roughy 1/4" at 100yds so that's the intrinisic accuracy of the MOA system.
So, while MIL clicks are not as precise as MOA clicks, they also requires fewer clicks to adjust the scope from one elevation setting to another elevation setting.
This is an important factor when you need to adjust the scope from your 100yd zero to another distance quickly.
Let's say your bullet drops 54" from your 100yd zero to your 500yd zero.
That would equate to 10.25 MOA or 3 MIL of adjustment.
If you were to compare two nightforce scopes, the MOA knobs have 10 MOA of adjustment on one turn and the MIL knobs have 5 MIL of adjustment on one turn.
So, you can see it's quicker to turn the MIL knob 2/3 of a turn than it is to turn the MOA knob 1 full turn plus another click.
However, at 500yds, a single 1/4 MOA click equals 1.3" while a single 1/10 MIL click equals 1.8" so you can also see that the MOA system has 30% finer resolution when trying to dial-in your impact precisely.

My summary in support of the MOA system is that you have a finer resolution to work with that's easier to use for rangefinding without a calculator, but fewer companies making scopes with MOA reticles.
My summary in support of the MIL system is that you have quicker adjustments and more support in the variety of scope manufacturers and the wonderful "mil-dot master" sliderule that eliminates the need of a calculator to quickly estimate ranges.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:02 pm 
Club Founding Member

MOA vs MIL visually:

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:21 am 
Chuck Norris

I remember this thread when it came out, but never tried to put it to use. I was trying this at Piru and tried to do it at WEGC, but didnt work...I have the NP-R1 MOA Reticle in 5.5-22. The range set is 11x and I believe that the verticle hash marks are 2MOA's...Now if I crank it up to 22x, do the hash marks become 1moa, 4moa's or stay the same....I thought that they went to 4MOA's and thats was I tried at WEGC, but I missed all the targets except the 1st one that I set my elevation for and the large IPSC target...I also was having a hard time holding the rifle still so that probably was it, but wanted to make sure that I got the holdover correct....

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:05 pm 
Club Founding Member

Np-r1 is accurate at 22x, not 11x.
The large hash marks are 2moa and the small ones are 1moa.
At 11x, the large hash marks are 4moa and the small ones are 2moa.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:24 pm 
Positional Shooter

good stuff. I have both MoAs and MILs knobs, The MILS make it much easier with your spotter ( even better if he has a spotting scope with MIL reticle)

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:51 pm 
Chuck Norris

ok, then why does the NF have the dot at 11x? Isnt that to indicate thats where its reticle is accurate at ranging....

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:40 pm 
Club Founding Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:20 pm 
Bore Brusher

On the old school mildot reticles you must check their true size, they can vary from 0.2 to 0.22 Mils.... The NightForce Mildot I realy like, it is 0.25 Mils and a hollow circle with dot in middle (all except the 3.5-15x F1 which doesn't have the dot). Most of the SFP scopes range correctly at max power, with an exception being the Nikon Buckmaster 4-14x, which ranges correctly at 12X. Also on the NightForce 5.5-22x, just because the "dot" is at 11X does not mean that is the correct setting for half power ranging. You must verify this in the field and put a mark (if different) at the correct mapping location..

Mark

Corporate Supporter of