[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
• View topic - Reloading Class

It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Reloading Class
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:28 pm 
Sling User

Ever thought about doing one specializing in long range shooting and hunting?

Post subject: Re: Reloading Class
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:26 pm 
Chuck Norris

Just read up and start with the basics!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:53 pm 
Chuck Norris

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:02 pm 
Positional Shooter

Location: In the middle of the desert somewhere outside of Barstow
Trial and error then read to find out why and how to fix if you can't figure it out on your own.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:25 pm 
Positional Shooter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:00 am 
Chuck Norris

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:30 am 
Positional Shooter

Location: In the middle of the desert somewhere outside of Barstow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:28 am 
Sling User

I was thinking it could be structured like an A,B,C class like shooting. I would be interested in taking my reloading to the next level, I think I've got great hunting ammo but not sure if it would perform to 800+ yards.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:23 am 
Chuck Norris

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:05 am 
Club Founding Member

I have an ABCs of reloading book you can borrow if you want.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:55 pm 
Sling User

Dude check out the ammosmith video's on youtube & his forum(ammosmith.com). They're pretty detailed & he covers alot of stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:05 pm 
Bench Shooter

For new brass prep, I follow this procedure:
Visual Inspection for obvious defects and cull out damaged brass
Very lightly lube the case-I use an RCBS lube pad
Very lightly lube inside the case neck-I use a brush
Full length size (I use minimum SAMI length for new brass)
turn the necks-I use an RCBS trim lathe dedicated for neck turning
Trim to length-I use an RCBS power trimmer
Camphor and debur the case mouth-I use an RCBS case prep center
debur flash hole-I use an RCBS tool attached to the RCBS case prep center
square primer pocket
tumble the brass to clean and polish
clear media from case and flash hole
weigh and sort in lots of 50 within 1 grain

For subsequent reloads, I follow this procedure:
Visual Inspection for obvious defects and cull out damaged brass
Very lightly lube the case-I use an RCBS lube pad
Very lightly lube inside the case neck-I use a brush
Full length size to bump the shoulder .001-I use a RCBS Precision Mic to check fireform size, then set the die accordingly
Trim to length
Camphor and debur the case mouth
anneal the case neck (every third reload)
tumble to clean and polish
clear media from case and flash hole

To load, I follow this procedure:
Prime by hand to ensure proper seating of the primer in the pocket
Charge the case with the proper weight of powder-I use an RCBS chargemaster
Seat my bullet, I use RCBS Comp dies
check OAL with dial caliper
Randomly check concentricity of neck and bullet run out

Working up a load .... and seating depths are another subject ...

Good luck

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:24 pm 
Chuck Norris

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:51 pm 
Chuck Norris

^^^^^^
Dick!!!
I love it!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:58 pm 
Bench Shooter

That was helpful. I hope that makes you feel good about yourself. Very mature.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:04 pm 
Chuck Norris

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:58 am 
Sling User

To stay on the subject you can go to a free reloading clinic at field time sports and guns in Westminster. It's where I learned how to reload. Just call and ask when the next one is. Bob will answer any questions you have. I saw him help out a guy that got a stuck case and wondered now how the hell did he do that (get the case stuck) a week later I was in there with the same problem use plenty of case lube.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:37 am 
Bore Brusher

Thanks K_Labs.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:24 pm 
Positional Shooter

they do free reloading classes at fowlers off the 55 and chapman. thats where i got my confidence to start. i had been buying components and relaoding tools for a few months. they go step by step on a press showing you how to set up dies and which order to do things. they touch on advanced subjects in conversation.
like i said thats where i got my confidence. not alot of knowledge. just basics. then i learned further online, here and elsewhere.
still learning.
one book that was recomended to me at that relaoding class was "Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting" by bryan litz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:48 pm 
Positional Shooter

Angeles offers a beginner reloading class.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:36 pm 
Sling User

I'd be in for a class on making match ammo. :)