[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
• View topic - CaPRC Marksmanship Clinic "B" 10-23-11

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:03 am 
Bench Shooter

Should we bring a data book out for this class?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:09 am 
Positional Shooter

It should be standard operating proceedure to bring a note pad or data book anytime you shoot to record change in zero and to record dope especially if it's a location you've never shot or in different atmospheric conditions. So short answer: yes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:07 am 
Club Founding Member

You will need something to write with and on. What is up to you.

Team GAP, Shooter #7
Draining squares and banging steel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:18 pm 
Bench Shooter

OK, so I'm using Ballistics FTE to create my ballistics card and I've got a few questions. I've got a Remington 700 SPS Varmint with 26" barrel in .308 and will be shooting Sierra Match King HPBT 168gr. So here are my questions:

1) Native Drag Model: Which one do I use?
2) Muzzle Velocity: The ammo box says 2,650fps, but I don't know for sure. Can anyone please confirm.
3) Use Drag Model: Again, which one do I use?
4) Scope Height: I measured from the center of the barrel to the top of the scope, then subtracted 1/2 of the scope's diameter. Is this correct?
5) Y-Intercept: What, if anything, do I put in here?
6) Zero Atmosphere: I zeroed at the A Clinic. What's the altitude at Angeles?
7) Spin & Stability: on or off?
8) Coriolis Acceleration: on or off?

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:28 pm 
Club Founding Member

Team GAP, Shooter #7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:50 pm 
Bench Shooter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:53 pm 
Club Founding Member

Team GAP, Shooter #7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:17 pm 
Positional Shooter

Ive been loading to the recomended OAL in the manual that Ive been using (lyman 49th). I recently purchased the RCBS precision mic for my 308.

My question is this...If I load .020 off the lands... How much is my Zero going to change ?

I already put the action in a new stock so I know my zero will be off from just that change.
The problem is that I dont have enough time to go re zero before the class.... Have to work tomorrow..Damnit

Should I use my old load or should I load .02 off the lands??????

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:08 pm 
Club Founding Member

Team GAP, Shooter #7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:20 pm 
Chuck Norris

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:51 pm 
Club Founding Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:22 pm 
Positional Shooter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:37 pm 
Prone Shooter

my scope focus stopped working, borrowed a friend's so i will be re-zero also. so you wont be the only one...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:22 am 
Positional Shooter

Backing out... Have to work tomorrow too.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:33 pm 
Club Founding Member

Team GAP, Shooter #7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:02 pm 
Prone Shooter

Hey I'm sorry its so late but I will not be able to attend the clinic. Sorry about that, hope that everyone enjoys it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:41 pm 
Club Founding Member

See everyone in the AM. I will be in a bright orange shirt so you can't miss me.

Team GAP, Shooter #7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:27 am 
Bench Shooter

Sorry all, car trouble :evil: :arrow: :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:57 pm 
Positional Shooter

Had a great time today at the B clinic. Thanks Eddie, Steven, Nick and Thomas for helping me to dial in my BC. Need to work on my trigger pull :|

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:50 pm 
Bench Shooter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:19 pm 
Bench Shooter

Great B Clinic today. much thanks to the club for putting on another good one. thanks to Mike for all the help on the line and the ballistics/dope 101 explanations. and thanks for spotting and shooting feedback from Steven and Charlie, and I can't remember your name, but the instructor with the little pocket scope good for finding targets down the range? anyway, you know who you are! all you guys rock. :thumb:

and another great lunch, thanks to Meghan and Randall for grilling and getting us fed.

can't wait till the C clinic.

thanks!

Randy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:31 pm 
Club Founding Member

Glad you guys (and gals) had fun we did too. You all shot very well and looked good behind the rifles. Hope to shoot a match with you soon.

Team GAP, Shooter #7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:44 pm 
Bore Brusher

Many thanks to the CAPRC crew for putting together yet another fun and informative clinic. Charlie, Steven, Nick, Eddie, you guys rock. Thanks for taking the time and for being so free with what you know. And special thanks to Randall for doing all the dirty work that made it all possible in the first place.

These clinics are invaluable for the one-on-one feedback you really can't get on your own. Definitely looking forward to C clinic so I, too, can one day say "F*** side prone!"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:01 pm 
Chuck Norris

Guys... Totally had a good time. Made it worth missing work today. Everyone did excellent and got dope out to 600!! Then some of us turned our dials back too far and ended up a whole rev low (Like I have never done that before :tech: ) Anyway, everybody did well and there were no problems on the range.

Eddie... Thanks for coming back and securing the steel. Megan curse you for the doughnuts, but they were good.... :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:43 pm 
Positional Shooter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:49 pm 
Positional Shooter

Thanks Randall and Megan for the grub!

I think everybody knows what they need to work on now, much of which can be fixed with lots of dry firing. You have your dope now come out to a match and challenge yourself. Matches are just another kind of practice. You'd be amazed what you will learn and what you will walk away with. Randall, Charlie, Brad, Keith, and all the other veterans are great shooters and will share tips and give sound advice. Plus everybody is super friendly and fun to be around. Also the matches are a chance to check out other people's equipment and see what you like before you buy. Don't worry about dbm or muzzlebrakes. Just load (or buy) some match ammo, come out, and have fun :thumb:

And if you still feel you are not ready to shoot a match then come out anyway to help out with the match by spotting and other stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:45 pm 
Sling User

Thanks Randall and CAPRC Crews for running this clinic for us.. especially to Steven, Nick and Eddie for helping me dope at 400, 500 and 600 and Randall and Charles for helping me understand the MLR Reticles calibration @ 11 and 22 power.

Here are some photos taken by my GF during the clinic.

http://s378.photobucket.com/albums/oo22 ... linic%20B/

Art "Tripeaks69" Ardiente

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:10 am 
Bench Shooter

Is it possible to buy the course material for those of us who couldn't make it :?:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:25 am 
Teaches Shooting

Thanks again for a great class. I learn more and more each time and I am gather a larger appreciation for what is accomplished at every event. Really looking forward t getting dialed in and shooting a few matches with you guys! Food was great and the instruction was AWESOME!!!! See ya all at the "C" clinic!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:58 am 
Bench Shooter

Just wanted to extend my thanks for another excellent clinic. It was great hitting steel pigs out at 600 yards. Looking forward to the "C" clinic.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:58 am 
Club Founding Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:15 pm 
Chuck Norris

Everyone shot very well, good job. Now that you have hard dope for those conditions, you can mess around with your ballistic computer programs and get some relatively accurate soft dope for other conditions. You also got to see how important the fundamentals are shooting at longer ranges and how much fun trying to dope the wind is. :bg: Now, its time to get in some good practice. Everything you have learned other than recoil control can be practiced dry firing or with a .22lr If you have the opportunity, I would recommend looking into Appleseed training. It is very good (and cheap) training that can be done with a .22lr and focuses on shooting with a sling in the prone, sitting, and standing positions. Excellent "tools" to have in your tool bag of knowledge.

Upcoming Appleseed classes: http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states. ... California

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:43 pm 
Chuck Norris

Also, for many of you it was the first time using mildots on your reticle. Remember, its just a ruler you use to measure things. Here are two pics of the common mildots many of you had. Note that the round ones and oval, football shaped ones are different sizes, be sure to use the one your scope has.