[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
• View topic - Pistol Practice

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Pistol Practice
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:23 pm 
Positional Shooter

Who's interested in practicing shooting your pistol while carrying all your rifle gear , including your precision rifle slung on your back? I was discussing this with Randall and he thought it was a good idea. What I was thinking is after the WEGC bolt gun match this Sunday we could set up some paper or steel and practice some pistol shooting,start off stationary pistol only and maybe try a short stage starting with pistol and transitioning to rifle. It might be a good opportunity to try different ways of arranging your gear so you can reach your spare mags or get your rifle unslung and get into position without getting tangled up.

Post up here if you're shooting Spaniard's match and want to do some pistol shooting afterward.Let me know what you guys think.

Post subject: Re: Pistol Practice
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:16 am 
Club Founding Member

I am game...

Team GAP, Shooter #7
Draining squares and banging steel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:08 am 
Chuck Norris

How do you suggest we set ourselves up? Your talking with your BA still on your back correct?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:25 am 
Positional Shooter

Yes, with your bolt action strapped to your back. Try putting on your rifle gear and then leave room for a holster and pistol magazine pouch.Sling your rifle over your back or however you're comfortable carrying it. See where it ends up hanging and if it's in the way of drawing your pistol or grabbing a spare magazine.Make sure your rifle sling doesn't grab anything and knock it loose from it's holster (don't laugh,it's happened).Your rifle and pistol might bump each other a little, so keep this in mind.Muzzle up or muzzle down, strong side or weak side,across the back,all things to consider.You guys with long barrels might have a little more trouble finding a comfortable spot.Put everything on and try walking around the house to see how it feels.Try slinging and unslinging you rifle and getting down into a shooting position.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:34 pm 
Club Founding Member

I'm interested in this as well. I find with AICS stock side sling attachments carrying muzzledown with rifle in front is comfortable but having it there takes awhile to get used to when drawing and doing mag changes, just a matter of practice. Carrying across back either muzzle up or down clears up the front for pistol manipulation.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:43 pm 
Chuck Norris

I am game, but I don't have a sling....does anyone have one I can borrow with atachment hardware?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:46 pm 
Chuck Norris

Can i just shoot one of my .22 pistols to conserve the expensive stuff?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:52 pm 
Positional Shooter

Do you have a secure holster and mag pouches for your .22? Is your .22 capable of being carried in a holster in a safe condition( cocked and locked?).How similar is your .22 to your centerfire handgun?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:34 am 
Club Founding Member

Are you planning on putting on matches that combine pistol and precision rifle?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:03 am 
Chuck Norris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:31 pm 
Positional Shooter

As long as the pistol is secure in the holster, it should be fine.
I already put on a match at WEGC that uses pistol and shotgun. I don't see why we couldn't do some pistol shooting in Spaniard's monthly match if that what the shooters want.We certainly have the room to do it. I thought this would be a good opportunity for some to see what's involved in carrying a pistol and rifle gear and trying to keep it organized.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:47 pm 
It would be pretty cool. I just wouldn't want to see it become too high of a round count for pistol.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:55 pm 
Club Founding Member

The BRRC match that happened last month did a good job on the stage that had pistol. If I remember right, it started with the team shooting rifle at steel, then transition to pistols and run down a road engaging IPSC targets as you went along, then back to rifle and engage steel. lots of fun.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:14 pm 
Positional Shooter

I was wondering about the BRRC match when I saw the pistol/rifle stage, after the pistol shots were done, did they reholster a loaded pistol or did they have to clear it first , then reholster?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:53 pm 
Club Founding Member

Started the stage with all guns cleared. Before any sort of transition you had to visually show clear to RSO of the gun you just used.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:29 pm 

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:55 pm 
Positional Shooter

I would love to do some run and gunning in smaller groups...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:44 pm 
Bore Brusher

I am game.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:17 pm 
Chuck Norris

First post, congrats, and welcome but I think that thread is a little old!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:27 pm 
Bore Brusher

HAHA... Sorry did not even look at the dates.