[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
• View topic - December Match COF Peanut Gallery

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:30 am 
Positional Shooter

Hey guys. I want to start a new practice here. We are going to post up the complete COF from each match so the guys who shot it can put in their 2 cents on what they liked, didn't like, thought was easy, thought was too hard, par times, target size, etc. Also if you guys have any stage ideas for future matches, feel free to post them here as well. Thanks!

12/13/15 CAPRC MATCH COF

1 - 400y Cold Bore
Up to 2 rounds. Target A 400 yard ⅓ IPSC
60 seconds prep time on ground as a squad. Shooters will then all stand up, leaving prepped rifle on ground with magazine inserted and bolt open. Upon the beep, shooters will have 15 seconds to drop to prone and engage the 400 yard target. If first round misses, a followup shot may be made if there is time left.
30 Points first round hit
10 Points second round hit

2 - 5 Dot Countdown
5 Rounds. 100 yard line. 60 seconds prep time. Shooters will shoot as a squad! Starting with prepped rifle with mag in and bolt open on ground and shooters standing. Shooters will have 5 chances to shoot their 5 dot target with each attempt using less time.
Shoot time: 25, 20, 15, 10, 5 seconds
10 points per hit. One hit per dot max.

3 - Get it Up
8 Rounds. 100 yard line. 60 seconds prep time. 120 seconds shoot time. Shooters will shoot as a squad. Starting position unsupported prone on ground. Mag in bolt back. Upon beep shooters will engage their numbered IPSC target from the unsupported prone position with 2 rounds, then move to seated for another 2 rounds, kneeling 2 rounds, then standing 2 rounds. Bolt MUST be open on transitions. Sling support only. Glove or shemagh ok. No bags with the exception of one small bag if needed for ankle support.
Targets scored at face value.

4R - Pack Rat
75 seconds shoot time. 6 Rounds.
No prep time.Starting standing port arms with all gear in hand. Target F 450 yards 8” Round
Upon the beep, shooters will engage target with up to 6 rounds using their pack or bag as support. . No bipods or tripods allowed. Rear bags ok.
10 points per hit

5R - Spool Sample
Up to 10 Rounds. 90 seconds shoot time.
NO prep time on prop. No moving position of prop. One shooter at a time. Starting standing port arms with all gear in hand. Upon beep shooter will engage Target 10” square at 300Y until impact, and then transition to the 12” square at 400Y until impact and then back to the 300 and so on.
Targets: E 400 12” Square D 300 10” Square
10 points per impact

6R - Near and Far
6 rounds.
60 seconds prep time. 60 seconds shoot time.
Targets 200y little men and F 450y 8” circle Starting position standing with prepped rifle on ground with mag in and bolt back. Upon beep shooters will drop to prone and engage Left Little Men 200y swinger with one shot hit or miss. Then shooter will transition to 450y circle with one round only. Shooter will then transition to next little man on their rack with one round, followed by one shot on the 450y etc.
10 points per hit

7L - Barricade Blitz
6 rounds. 90 second shoot time.
No prep time on prop. C 10” Square at 350y
Shooters start port arms, mag in and bolt back with all gear for the stage in hand. Upon beep shooters will engage target starting on the first barricade with one shot from each position in order from left to right. Then shooter will then place their rifle on the bench with bolt back to transition to the second barricade also from left to right. Bolt must be open on all transitions!!
10 points per hit

8L - Weak Sauce
Unlimited rounds. H 600y 12” Square
60 Seconds prep time. 60 seconds shoot time.
Shooters will start standing with prepped rifle mag in and bolt back. Upon beep shooters wil drop to support side prone and engage the 600y target with as many rounds as they like within time from traditional support side prone position.
10 points per hit

9L - Infidel Clean Sweep
6 rounds. C 10” Square at 350y
No prep time on props. 75 seconds shoot time.
Starting port arms, ALL gear in hand for the stage. Upon beep shooters will engage target from first designated shooting position on broom with 3 rounds. Shooter will then open bolt and drop magazine before transitioning to second broom designated shooting position. Shooter may then insert mag and engage target from that position with three rounds. No tripods or bipods may be used for support. Shooters may not move brooms from original location.
10 points per hit

10 - Man vs Man - Benchrest Style
Unlimited rounds. 75 seconds shoot time.
200 yard little men. No prep time.
Shooters start with rifle with inserted mag, bolt back to be placed on bench without looking through glass. Two shooters at a time. Starting at rear bench, upon beep shooters will run to their rifle and shoot their little man rack in order from left to right. You must impact the correct target to move on. Once rack is clear, shooters will transition to their support side and repeat.
Extra mags must be staged at back bench.
10 points per hit.

Fastest clean run gets a special prize donated from Short Action Precision.

Match Rules: 5 rounds maximum in a magazine. Magazine related requirements do not apply to shooters using internal magazine. Bolts to remain open on all transitions. All stages will start bolt completely open. Shooters may not load rifle until the RO instructs them to load and make ready.

Match Directors: Rich C and Henry Song

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:46 am 
Positional Shooter

Stage 1 Cold Bore - I think that the 1/3 IPSC at 400yd was a little generous. Most who hit it did so on the first shot. 14 out of 18 shooters. Next time a 6" would be more of a challenge at that distance.

Stage 4 Pack Rat - The stage could use more challenge such as a no rear bag rule added. It was a bit easy for some

Stage 5 Spool Sample - The 3 MOA targets were a bit easy for some on this. Slightly smaller possibly next time.

Stage 7 Barricade Blitz - The just under 3 MOA target seemed to challenge many of you off of this prop. Next time a little bigger. Time was tight as well. I would add another 10 seconds.

Stage 8 Weak Sauce - The 2 MOA target was just too easy prone, even weak side. Next time I would move the distance in as well so you have more of a swinging target to re-engage for your fast shooters.

Stage 10 Man vs Man - 75 seconds was too much. 60 is plenty. And don't let Danny shoot it next time!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:05 am 
Positional Shooter

On the 400y cold bore, could you move the targets 1 mil to the right? That seems to be where my rounds were landing...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:15 am 
Positional Shooter

On a serious note, while I enjoyed all the stages, and especially appreciated that the COF was very clear and concise, I am aware that weak side as well as lack of speed are among my current biggest issues to overcome. So the two stages that were unlimited rounds, especially Stage 8 Weak Sauce, made it impossible for me to remain competitive. I'm not saying you should change it...mostly just pointing out my own suckage.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:17 pm 
Chuck Norris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:11 pm 
Teaches Shooting

Sundays match was a lot of fun. I am looking forward to the practice dates.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:38 pm 
Sling User

I really appreciate all of the work everyone put into running CAPRC this year. CAPRC definitely creates an awesome learning environment with the clinics and matches.

The entire CoF was fun for me- there was a nice variety. The dot drill wasn't just a dot drill with the decreasing time. The amount of support side shooting was....challenging.
The varying distances within a stage was cool too. For the first time I used a holdover instead of dialing during a stage (Spool Sample). It was a big deal for me.

I kind of liked Stage 3 (Get It Up). Cramming in all of the unsupported positions into one stage was pretty good. My vote for most "practice your effing basics" stage. Only stages 3 & 7 had no perfect scores.
Stage 10 (Man vs. Man) was probably the most fun for me with the switch to support side in the middle and the rapid fire. Spool Sample and Clean Sweep were fun too.

Didn't mean to write a book here but I had a lot of fun this year with the matches and look forward to next year (and some improvement).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:21 am 
Chuck Norris

My only issue is with stage 8 weak sauce, and only because with unlimited rounds a few shooters were able to post 120+ point scores with one stage. IMHO that weights this one stage way too heavily.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:45 pm 
Positional Shooter

The positional style (sling prone, sit, kneel and standing) are always good to run, I know I need a reminder that I need to practice the positional events more.

I like the mix of gaming stages and no-gaming stages. Unlimited round stages are fun, there was one at sniper's hide cup on a mover.

Barricade time seemed a bit short. On the other hand a lot of matches seem to have stages that purposely cannot be completed by us mere mortals as a stressor. The idea being that someone who rushes to get more shots out will probably get more misses than hits. With a support like a tripod then 3moa is easy. Without then a bigger target would be good.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:15 pm 
Positional Shooter

in future matches I could definitely benefit from more stages requiring unsupported positions/sling and shooting off the barricade (maybe have 2 stages using the barricade but in different ways).

To encourage accuracy, have a stage that penalizes you for misses.

A stage putting 5 rounds into the best group you can shoot at 300 yards would provide us with some great feedback on our loads. Say 5 shots in 1 minute. There was a similar stage at the AZ PRS match.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:31 pm 
Positional Shooter

The only problem with a 300y stage like that is we don't have the option at Angeles to go to 300 to pull the targets on a weekend. We could do it at 200y though. We have done that earlier this year and had a prize for best group. It was a good stage.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:44 pm 
Club Founding Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:56 am 
Positional Shooter

That is good to know. That opens up more possibilities.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:01 pm 
Prone Shooter

I really enjoyed the heck out of the match this past Sunday. I thought that the COF was nicely varied, and the match was smoothly and efficiently run. I really appreciated how clear and concise the instructions for each stage were.

I would love to do more stages with positional stuff. I thought that the "Get it Up" stage was really good.
I also agree that a slightly smaller target on the cold bore stage would have been more challenging, and that for the barricade stage either a longer par time or a bigger target would be good.

As it was, I thought it was a really fun match and I benefited immensely from shooting the course of fire. It gave me a better idea of the things I need to practice more, and how to prioritize them.