[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
• View topic - Long Range Rifle Match 03-23-14 North County San Diego, CA.

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:39 pm 
Bench Shooter

Long Range Rifle Match 03-23-14 North County San Diego, CA.

Any scoped bolt action or semi-auto rifle. Calibers from .223 up to and including .338.
All targets will be shot from the prone position (if you are physically handicapped you may use a bench) from a covered firing line, any front and rear rest. Distances will vary from one hundred to eight hundred eighty five yards, paper and steel targets, forty rounds maximum for the match.

There will be a short sight in period prior to the match and the range will be open for practice for NSCA/HP members and guest until about 4:00 after the match.

No pre-registration required, just show up before 8:00 am. Sight in period 8:45 am. Match starts promptly at 9:00am.

See our new web site for details:
http://www.ncsahighpower.com/
http://www.ncsahighpower.com/guidelines.html

Also check this page for ammunition restrictions:
http://www.ncsahighpower.com/ammo.asp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:32 pm 
Teaches Shooting

I am gonna be there! Anyone else?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:43 pm 
Chuck Norris

I might show up for it not sure yet.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:47 pm 
Teaches Shooting

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:49 pm 
Sling User

Bring it!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:52 pm 
Teaches Shooting

Paul...you going?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:07 am 
Sling User

I am going to try to make it... I just hope I have enough ammo to make sure I am zeroed and complete the match. I figure I have to defend my match winner title from the first match of the year.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:29 pm 
Positional Shooter

What’s the match fee?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:02 pm 
Teaches Shooting

I think its $25?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:25 pm 
Sling User

I think the pricing info is on their website. Depends on if you are a member or a guest.

Stayed up until almost 3am preparing some food for the match...

Anyone know how to show an image hosted in dropbox?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:35 pm 
Teaches Shooting

Fun match today. Fired 26 rounds. Nice and laid back! Good job to the three that tied for first!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:13 pm 
Chuck Norris

Up last night puking! Other wise I would have made it!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:42 pm 
Teaches Shooting

Nathan,
Hope your feeling better or at least starting to. It was a good match! Was it a high round count match? Nope...shot 26 rounds but it was great to be able to make sure the load that I was running was working. The info Shooter gave me was on the nose out to 847 yards. I loaded ammo on Friday night, zero and ran a few rounds threw a magneto speed and presto......was right where I wanted it to be all the way out to 887. I think I will keep and run this load from this point out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:29 pm 
Sling User

Esteban, nice rifle first off! I should sell of some of the other rifles I have and see if I can round up enough money for something similar to what you were shooting. Not that my 5R is a slouch, but having something that doesn't jump as much on each shot would have helped me on the shoot off. I am still happy with first loser position considering my rifle only has a trigger as far as mods. Do you know what rifles the other two guys had?

Nathan, bummer about the stomach flu. Hope you can make it out to the next match. It would be good to shake the hand of the guy who sold me the scope and rings.

Hopefully I will get to practice a little more before the next match... shooting every other month only during these matches sucks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:59 am 
Positional Shooter

Esteban or Paul,

Can you guys write up an AAR for this match? I think some people might be a little hesitant about coming to these matches without enough info being posted about them in the past. I’ve shot here once and think it is a really nice range with a lot of steel at unconventional ranges out to 890 yds.

Maybe a brief outline of the COF, Match fees, etc…? Why no par times and low round count?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:21 am 
Teaches Shooting

Ok here goes for the AAR:

Match fee was $30 for non members and I believe $15 for members. It was a little high for non members but considering the range it was worth it.

Match started off with 15 minutes to make sure you are zeroed and ready to go. It was all prone and there was no par time for each stage.
Match was 9 stages. The swingers we shot where first the larger of the two and the second was a MUCH smaller one. The smaller one "looked" to be 1 MOA or 1.5 MOA at each distance
1.) 2 shots at the swingers at 224 yards.
2.) 2 shots at the swingers at 314 and then a transition to the square target at the same distance but further down the line.
3.) 2 shots at the swingers at 415 and then a transition to the square target at the same distance but further down the line.
4.) 4 shots with a transition. 2 shots at the swingers at 541 the two shots at the silhouette at 474. One hot to the body and one to the head.
5.) 2 shots at the swingers at 625 yards.
6.) 3 shots with 3 transitions. 1 shot at the 568 silhouette, 1 shot at the 621 silhouette, and 1 shot at the 686 silhouette.
7.) 2 shots at the swingers at 666 yards. The a transition (one ready) to the diamond at 666 yards. There was a 15 second par to get off three shots.
8.) 3 shots at the swingers at 762
9.) 2 shots at the targets at 842

Match was 26 points. So 1 point per hit. 26 rounds. Scores were a 3 way tie at 21 with then my wonderful score at 20.

Its a wonderful range but at the 762 and above the wind does some weird things going up that hill.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:54 am 
Positional Shooter

Thanks for taking the time to write that up Esteban. That answered a lot of questions I’ve heard people ask. What happened? You were supposed to clean house with the Creedmoor! :wtf:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:05 am 
Teaches Shooting

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:55 pm 
Positional Shooter

guys.

This match could be a great opportunity to shoot longer range to check dope and practice wind reading
I will shoot this match next time ,hope they will post it again for the next time.
Estegan thanks for the detail .
Any idea what the elevation is and which direction you were shooting?

"One of the secrets to mastery in any field is to forever be a student."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:39 pm 
Positional Shooter

Check this out Ray.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... t=33.37581

The line shoots North.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:50 pm 
Teaches Shooting

Ok Ray here is what I got:
Station pressure was 29.56 DA 541 Temp was 58 and humidity was 73.4%'
Wrote down the data off my Kestrel before we started

It really was a great match. Used it for DOPE gathering and was well worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:55 pm 
Club Founding Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:00 pm 
Teaches Shooting

Randall,
I did not take note of that. But will next time.

Could be the reasons for my misses at the 762 and 842. Missed by .2 mils on each shot.

Last edited by Mobius38 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:24 pm 
Positional Shooter

Thanks Esteban,
I will keep an eye on the next match post

"One of the secrets to mastery in any field is to forever be a student."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:45 pm 
Sling User

Esteban summed it up well. Those distances were from his shooting position on the right side of the range.

All the target sizes are listed on the Pala Range target yardage sheet available on their website.

The wind was a big challenge as the match progressed. It was pretty calm in the morning but by the 5th string the wind was swirling. At the line the wind was pretty constant from left to right but did switch to blowing out towards the targets or from right to left. Same was true out at the targets, at 2-300 it was left to right, at 4-500 right to left mainly towards the right side of the range. When I was shooting at the 851 yd targets I was only dialing half a mil for wind with 308 175SMKs.

Esteban do you know how many shooters there were?

I need to get some more gear like a kestrel and actually throw a few rounds past my chrono although your magneto speed would be much easier and quicker to use.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:34 pm 
Teaches Shooting

Paul...I looked at the scores when I left and I think there was 15 shooters.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:46 pm 
Club Founding Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:59 pm 
Teaches Shooting

On the 762 I dialed 5.7 and missed but after corrected to 5.5 with 1 mil for wind and impacted dead center. At the 842 dialed 6.8 and missed but again after corrected to 6.6 and held 1 mil and impacted dead center. This was at the smallest targets at 762 and 842.

Does that make sense?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:29 pm 
Chuck Norris

how much angle does Pala have? It would probably take 13-15deg to make .2 difference at 850 yards.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:40 pm 
Teaches Shooting

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:51 pm 
Club Founding Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:51 pm 
Club Founding Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:53 pm 
Club Founding Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:50 am 
Sling User

There is another long range match coming up this Sunday 6-22-14 according to the NCSA Pala website.

Anyone going to be there? I will be there with my woman (her first attempt at shooting a match and really her first time shooting prone).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:29 pm 
Teaches Shooting

So is there going to be another match this Sunday?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:34 pm 
Sling User

It is scheduled but I will email around to be sure. I thought you would be heading up to LA to shoot with the big guys...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:42 pm 
Teaches Shooting

sometimes its nice to switch some things around a little.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:47 pm 
Sling User

Well a late update, the match did happen but was cut a little short due to a LEO training session that was to occur after the open shooting time. Conditions were a bit of a challenge for everyone except for the guy shooting the DTA in 338LM. I was sucking big time 12/22 shots. I blame it on a dirty barrel, me having not shot rifles for the last 3 months, helping my GF with everything from finding the targets to estimated scope adjustments, and I wasn't feeling all that great either. Oh well, she seemed to like it and was able to score 9/22 which honestly is pretty damn good for only having shot her 700 two other times. Heck, I gave her my ammo which isn't even developed for her rifle. I will have to do a bit of work to prep for the next one.

Esteban, hope you can make the next one. I am sure you would have won the match if you had attended.